Stanhope Hall, Horncastle
The Stanhope Hall is situated on the southern approach into this traditional and historic chartered market town of Horncastle which is steeped in history.

The Hall was built in 1901. It was built to replace a smaller Drill Hall which the Volunteers had out-grown. As it was funded by public donations then it has always had a dual roll as a place of public entertainment and that of the local Army Headquarters.

The Stanhope Hall is built on the south east corner of the Wong where Edward Stanhope MP had given them express permission to use as a training ground. The “Wong” at Horncastle is cited in the Oxford English Dictionary as a rare example of an open space in the middle of a town.

During WWI the Red Cross took over the building and it served to treat 1127 wounded soldiers between 1914 and 1919. Again during WWII it served as a treatment centre for the wounded soldiers. Two Rolls of Honour are displayed in the Hall in memory to the men of the Lincolnshire Regiment who died during the two conflicts.

In 1967 the Drill Hall was re-named the Town Hall and became the home of the Horncastle Urban District Council. In 1974 at local government re-organisation East Lindsey District Council (ELDC) was formed and they created their Area Office in the building along with the Town Council office. More recently ELDC decided the building was surplus to their requirements and in January 2009 the building was closed down and boarded up.

Save Town Hall BannerThe whole community rallied round, fought hard to save the building from demolition and on April 21st 2010 ELDC’s Full Council voted to allow the community to take over and run the facility led by the Stanhope Hall group which is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.



The lease was finally signed on July 30th 2010 and the utilities and services were re-commissioned along with the removal of the boards. A team of volunteers cleaned all the building and bookings began rolling in.


The Hall before it was rescued by the Town.

The Hall before it was rescued by the Town.

March1March over bridgeMarch through town