Horncastle

The Stanhope Hall is well placed within Horncastle which lies equidistant between historic Lincoln and “bracing” Skegness on the main A158. The town is also at the foot of the Lincolnshire Wolds close to Tennyson country.

The rivers Bain and Waring converge on the south-west corner of the town making it a pleasant and interesting place to stroll round, with the Viking Way and a network of other footpaths leading into the surrounding countryside affording a variety of scenery and miles of leisurely walks.The Horncastle Canal, now disused, stretches for 11 miles to the River Witham, built in the early 1800’s it created additional trading within the Town.

As a former Roman settlement, the remains of the Roman wall can be found in various parts of the town. The best preserved sections are on display within the Library, it is a major feature within the building.

Horncastle was lucky to be one of the first towns in Lincolnshire to have a Public Dispensary. The original was built in 1789 close to St Mary’s Church and then in 1866 a new site was found and it was moved to North Street. It was built as a memorial to Sir Henry Dymoke who had been a generous patron of the Dispensary for many years. It became the Town’s cottage hospital and then in 1924 the Town’s War Memorial Hospital until the millennium when it became surplus to the NHS. It was transformed by a community group into the thriving Horncastle War Memorial Centre accommodating the headquarters of L.I.V.E.S, a children’s day nursery and three health-related clinics.

St Mary’s Church stands proud in the centre of the town. As Horncastle’s oldest standing building, parts of it dates back to the 12th or 13th Century. Some 13 scythe blades which are believed to have been used in the Lincolnshire Rising of 1536 are still displayed there. It is reputed that the men converged on the Wong before marching off to York.

Sir Joseph Banks the famous explorer ad botanist was an extensive land owner in and around Horncastle. Another famous character from Horncastle was William Marwood, a cobbler by trade and executioner for the whole of England between 1872 and 1883 and would practice his infamous “long-drop” technique in “Tinkers Entry” or more correctly Lindsey Court.

More latterly Horncastle has become nationally recognised as an antique centre, a map of the antique trail can be found at the Tourist Information Centre. Horncastle remains predominantly an un-spoilt market town, offering a wide range of traditional shops and pubs. So there is an abundance to see and do in addition to just hiring or visiting The Stanhope Hall.